Saturday, January 22, 2011

Creating Web Sites

I am already currently working on a google site for my wedding. To balance it out and try something new, I decided to set up my e-portfolio on a weebly.

I think Google Sites is easy to use and figure out, but I feel limited sometimes. For instance, there are only five font types and I do not have the option of having navigation visible on some pages and not others. I can’t wait to see if weebly offers more options and more room to be creative. So far, weebly seems to be at least equal to google sites.

Weebly
+ can edit pictures (crop, shading, etc.) right on the editing page instead of uploading new ones which I edited on my computer
+all editing tools right on top of page for quick access
-NO font choices!
-constantly requesting that I pay for a domain for every time I save changes

Google Sites
+supposedly easily connects to other google tools (I haven’t had the need to test this out)
-only 5 font choices
-moving to pages that are not on the navigation panel is more difficult than it should be

My guess is that once I’m done playing around with Weebly I will favor it more than Google Sites because it seems to be catered more for the things I want to do. I love both of them more than any wiki I have used. Wikis (such as wikispaces) seem to be great for sharing plain information and allowing a class to edit, but they are so limited creatively.

1 comment:

  1. This might be arbitrary and somewhat meaningless, but when I was working through Weebly, it would stall out, freeze, etc., which was obviously pretty frustrating. However, like you, I felt that (when it was functioning correctly) the site was very convenient to navigate. I feel that, with Weebly, a novice techy would be able to focus more on the content of their site than the process of formatting it. I loved being able to swap photos in and out, and I felt that actually structuring the site was fairly simple. However, with that being said, I love all of the tech. that Google has to offer, so, until I play around with Weebly a bit more (assuming that I don't have any more technical problems), Google sites has my vote.

    ReplyDelete