Monday, February 7, 2011

Flashcard Machine

I tried out Flashcard Machine which is exactly what it sounds like- a website in which users can create online flashcards. You must have an account to CREATE flashcards but it seems as though non-users can view and flip through the cards if they have the URL. It even offers an option where you can identify yourself as a teacher. I'm not sure what the differences are between being designated as a teacher or a student or professional. However, a possible implementation of this as a teacher could include creating flashcards for your students and sending them the URL. This applies to any subject area and age group.

You can choose to be quizzed on the flashcards by being given the term or the definition. The quizzes are setup in multiple choice format which is not completely helpful for 100% memorization, but it still helps.

Downside: you can insert images BUT they must be from another online source which was disappointing because I was hoping I could simply upload images of the text instead of having to type it all up

P.S.After continuing to use Flashcard Machine, I still like it overall, but I find the requirements for creating a new set unnecessary. You have to fill in a subject area, grade level, description, etc. It really honestly doesn't take that long to fill out, and it makes sense since the purpose is to share flashcards with all the other users. However, I am just a student who wants to use it for my own benefit. I think I would feel the requirements worth while if I was creating flashcards for my students to use.

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder about things like this. I think if I studied with online flashcards I would miss having the physical paper ones in my hand. Also, for me part of the studying is physically writing the flashcards. But then again the students we some day have will not be used to doing everything on paper like we were when we were younger. This tool could become familiar to them like a pencil and index cards did to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the fondness for real paper. I would rather read novels in print.... but then I'm used to reading articles for class on a screen. So, I've somewhat adapted, not that it is "wrong" to prefer print. I imagine that there will be at least a few students who benefit from printed products over digital even in our technology driven future.

    I DID have to type in the definitions and answers which could function in the same way as writing out the flashcards.

    I also just realized that there is a button that says "Begin Study Session" and will present the card and "flip" it over as if I was studying them in my hands. This is different than what I originally thought the only option was the multiple choice quiz.

    ReplyDelete