Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hyperlinks on Steroids

There are many times in which I want to insert two links on a word or phrase as opposed to just one, but I haven’t figured out a good way to do this. 

I thought about splitting the word and putting one link on the first half and another link on the second half like this: voicethread, but then most might not even notice that there are two links and become confused when they experience that clicking the word does not lead them to the same place every time. 

It's still confusing even when there are multiple words such as: Digital Native because then it looks like the link on Digital is supposed to explain only the word Digital.

There are also times in which I want to add some explanations to my links like I tried in my post called Digitally Native with Pictures. I wanted to specify that I was specifically referring to the 4th paragraph of the article I referenced, but I wasn't quite sure about how I should format that either.

I also considered doing it this way: voicethread (also try this voicethread), but I feel like this would start making the text as a whole look cluttered.

Which brings me to my second pondering: Is there such a thing as too many hyperlinks? Do they crowd and overwhelm or are they always a good choice? I think there is potential that there could be such a thing as having too many, but on the other hand, some Wikipedia pages glow with blue links to other pages and I don’t ever feel as though that is a hindrance. I actually like it because I know that if I don't understand what something is or want to learn more about it I can just click on it.... but then why do I still feel concerned about using too many links in my own blogs?

I’m also wondering about linking to people when mentioning them in a blog or site. What should you link their name to? Their site? Their blog? Something they have written? I guess it depends on what the options are. Should I ask for permission to link to them or at least notify them? 

Not that I want to create an internet version of the MLA/APA monster (a couple reasons described in Copyrights in Education), but an optional guideline or etiquette could be helpful. On the other hand, perhaps I should just try things out and see how it develops. I think I appreciate the method of informal trial and error as opposed to one person or group sitting down and deciding the right way for everyone.

Any ideas on any of this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment